Female Nurse Speaking With Female Patient In Doctor's Office

"*" indicates required fields

How would you prefer to be contacted?*

When you’re injured in an accident and you need medical treatment, your medical insurance is normally the first place you turn when you need to pay for your medical bills. But what happens when you don’t have medical insurance? Even if you don’t have medical insurance, you still have a few options available to you including “med pay,” Medicaid, no fault insurance and payment arrangements.

If you’re struggling to pay your bills after you’ve been injured, a personal injury lawyer can also help you explore your options.

“Med Pay” Coverage

If you were injured due to someone else’s negligence and don’t have health insurance, you should check with their insurance company to see if their policy includes medical payment insurance coverage. Known as “med pay,” this facet of an insurance policy includes medical coverage up to the policy limits. Med pay policies usually have limits at $10,000 or less, so it’s possible that you might use all of their med pay coverage and be responsible for the remainder of your medical bills.


Medicaid is a type of health insurance offered by the federal government that provides lower-income citizens with medical insurance. These health insurance programs are run by individual states, but the federal government sends them the funding. If you’ve been injured in an accident and don’t have health insurance to cover your bills, contact your state’s Medicaid office to see if you qualify for being a Medicaid recipient. If so, it should pay for the remainder of your medical bills, and possibly even some of your prior bills.

No Fault Auto Insurance

While our own North Carolina is not a no-fault state, there are a dozen states that do operate on a no-fault policy when it comes to automobile accidents. In these states, it doesn’t matter who is at fault for the accident in terms of filing insurance claims. Regardless of who was negligent, you file a claim with your own insurance. So if you don’t have the medical insurance to pay the medical bills for your injuries but you live in a no-fault state, your auto insurance company may offer payment for your medical bills.

Payment Arrangements

Finally, there is also the chance that you will be able to work out a payment arrangement with your hospital or healthcare provider if you don’t have any other options for paying your medical bills. Many practitioners who often treat accident victims understand that the victim may not have the funds needed to pay for their medical bills and they may be willing to work out a payment plan with you. They also may request that you sign a personal injury lien. This is a binding contract between you and your health care provider requiring you to repay them for their services should you win compensation in your personal injury lawsuit.

Consult a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you’re struggling to pay your medical bills after being injured in an accident, contact one of our personal injury lawyers at Lewis & Keller. We have offices in Greensboro and Winston-Salem, and our team of professional attorneys can help you better understand your legal rights and options.

Winston-Salem Office

285 Executive Park Boulevard
Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27103

Phone: 336-765-7777
Fax: 336-659-1750

Greensboro Office

204 Muirs Chapel Road Suite 100,
Greensboro, North Carolina 27410

Phone: 336-851-1000
Fax: 336-659-1750

Free Case Review

Contact Us Today

"*" indicates required fields

How would you prefer to be contacted?*