Staying safe on the road is always of paramount importance to anyone who travels by car, but in winter the stakes are higher and the need for excellent driving habits increases. When the roads and highways ice over, or when snowfall makes visibility difficult, relying on knowledge of how to drive in winter conditions is the best resource for motorists and their passengers.
The lawyers at Lewis & Keller know how important defensive driving is, which is why we have compiled a list of winter driving tips to keep travelers safe as temperatures drop and travel distances increase.
Winter Driving Tips
Before setting out for a trip, one of the most important questions to consider is whether you really need to go. The best way to avoid a collision is oftentimes to weigh whether you really need to make the trip. Traveling on slick roads in poor conditions is so dangerous that if you don’t need to drive, don’t do it!
If you do decide to take the car out, use these tips to help you stay safe behind the wheel this winter:
- Maintenance is key—make sure your vehicle’s tires are in good shape
- Check the vehicle’s battery and distributor
- Ensure that windshield wipers are in good condition
- Clear all windows and mirrors
- Stay alert while on the road
- Always wear seat belts
- Drive considerably slower than posted speed limits
- Allow approximately 10 seconds of extra room between vehicles
- Know your route ahead of time
- Remain focused on the task at hand and avoid in-car distractions
- Beware of black ice and frozen bridges
- Avoid rapid braking and acceleration as much as possible
- Keep a supply kit in your trunk with first aid, nonperishable food items, flashlight, etc.
- Always let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return
- Never drive drowsy or under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Be aware of possible deer or other wildlife in the area
By keeping these tips in mind you can have a safe, enjoyable trip in challenging winter weather conditions. The most important thing is to remember that other drivers may not be exercising such good habits, and to drive defensively in order to avoid an accident with them.
If an accident does occur, seek medical attention immediately. Once you and your passengers are safe, reach out to a law firm with experience litigating auto accident claims to defend your rights in court.
Contacting Reliable Auto Accident Attorneys
The legal team at Lewis & Keller is honest, trustworthy and ready to fight for the rights of auto accident victims. If your winter car accident was the result of another driver’s negligence, we will fight for the maximum amount of compensation available for you.
Winter can be a treacherous time on the road, but there is no reason to let another person’s careless actions cause your pain without seeking justice. For a free, no-obligation review of your claim, fill out the form at the bottom of the page, on the left, or call 866-299-1769. The details of your case are strictly confidential.