The scene of an auto accident can be quite unnerving for most people – with many motorists simply not knowing what to do after a crash has occurred. In fact, based on figures contained in a study released by the University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center- over 250,000 motor vehicle accidents took place here in North Carolina in 2010 alone.
With this in mind, it’s important to note that even if North Carolina motorists use defensive driving techniques while on our roads – simply due to the volume of traffic and the occasionally adverse driving conditions in our state, some auto accidents are unavoidable.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car crash that was caused by the negligence of another driver, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your injuries and any other costs associated with that injury.
To find out how we can help, simply fill out the “Free Case Review” form located to the right – it’s 100% free.
What To Do Immediately After The Collision
In many post-accident situations, when motorists are involved in a car crash they have no idea what to do or they forget what to do after an accident has taken place.
Some easy to remember steps can include:
- No matter how frustrated or angry you are about the wreck, you need to remain calm at all times.
- Check to see if you or any of the passengers in your vehicle have been hurt.
- If someone has been injured in your car or the other vehicle, call 911.
- If possible, move your vehicle to a safe location.
- If you smell gas or oil coming from your car, look out for any traffic, and then swiftly move far away from your vehicle.
- Turn on your car’s hazard lights, use cones or flares, if you have them available.
- No matter how small the accident is, call the police.
- Exchange information with all parties that were involved in the crash (driver’s license numbers, license plates, insurance information and the passengers’ information)
- Write down everything that can you remember about the accident including, time of the day, weather conditions, driving speeds or mechanical issues.
- Use your cell phone to take pictures of the accident scene and the vehicles involved in the collision.
- Try to obtain the contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Limit your talk about the vehicle crash, only talk about the accident with law enforcement, your family and your car insurance company.
- Do not admit fault in the crash, even if you think that you caused the collision.
- Ask the police officer that is at the accident scene, where you can get a copy of the accident report. Your insurance company will probably ask for a copy the report.
- Contact your insurance company immediately after the crash.
- Make an appointment with a medical professional if you have been injured. Sometimes injuries may not appear until one or two days after a collision.
By following just some of these simple tips, can help to prevent further injury at the scene of the collision, while also ensuring that should you need to file a claim for injury compensation, you will be able to provide a comprehensive list of information for your attorney.
Have Questions? Contact Our Winston-Salem Car Accident Lawyer Today
Here at Lewis & Keller, we are compassionate to those that have suffered an injury due to the negligence or another motorist. We strongly believe that these drivers need to be held both responsible and accountable for their actions.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in a motor vehicle accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation for medical expenses, lost wages and property damage. Contact our team of attorneys today to begin exploring your legal options.
With our primary office located in Winston-Salem, we also proudly serve injury victims in:
- High Point
- …. and most other cities throughout North Carolina.
Our team of attorneys have won over $10 MILLION in successful verdicts and settlements for our clients, and are ready to help fight for your MAXIMUM injury compensation today.
To find out more, contact us today at 866-299-1769. A member from our intake team will answer your call, and shortly after obtaining some initial details about your inquiry, you will be connected to one of our lawyers – it’s that easy.
If you would prefer to start immediately, simply fill out and submit the “Free Case Review” form located at the top of this page.