We're Open & Ready To Help! Get Started Without Leaving Home. Call 866-299-1769.
Warehouse Worker Experiencing Lower Back Pain Stock Photo

Workers’ compensation is a form of insurance that all employers must carry to protect their staff from accidents, injury and illness related to the job. When you are hurt at work, you may have to file a claim to make sure your injuries are covered. However, you have to make sure that you do everything properly to help ensure your claim goes smoothly in Winston-Salem and Greensboro, North Carolina. If you’re hurt on the job, be sure to take these five steps first so that you can be sure you’re properly covered by workers’ compensation.

Reporting You’ve Been Hurt on the Job

Step one when you’re hurt on the job is to report the injury to your employer. Let them know you’ve been injured and are going to be checked out by a doctor. This will be very important later on, as you and your employer have certain specific responsibilities to get the claim through. If your injury is an emergency, you can get medical attention first, but make sure you report within two or three days at most.

Getting Medical Attention

Even if your injury or illness seems mild, you should be seen by a medical professional. Always remember that your health and well-being are the first concern. Other things will fall in line. Make sure that you keep meticulous records of any and all doctor’s visits, medications and rehabilitation activities required of you. All of this will play into the compensation to which you’re entitled.

Employer Paperwork

Your employer will get you the necessary forms to formally report your injury and file a claim for workers’ compensation. These forms may include information about approved healthcare professionals that you must see (barring emergencies) for treatment throughout the process. Note that it is your employer’s responsibility to submit the paperwork and claim to the insurance company, but it never hurts to follow up on the status!

Wait for a Decision

Your claim will be reviewed by the state workers’ compensation board, and you may be contacted by a claims adjuster to discuss the specifics of the claim. At this point, your claim will be approved or denied. In some cases, the insurance company or even your employer may challenge your claim in an effort to save money. This doesn’t mean it’s over, however.

Get an Attorney

You should always at least discuss your case with a qualified workers’ compensation attorney. These legal professionals have the skills and knowledge to make sure that if you run into any road bumps along the way, you can get your claim through and covered. Without an attorney you might find yourself at a loss for what to do if your claim is challenged. Most attorneys will offer a free case review, so you’re at no obligation to use their services if they’re not needed.

In the end, you’ve got nothing to lose by talking with a lawyer in Winston-Salem and Greensboro, North Carolina, so contact us for a consult on your case today!

Winston-Salem Office

285 Executive Park Boulevard
Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27103

Phone: 336-765-7777
Fax: 336-659-1750

Greensboro Office

204 Muirs Chapel Road
Greensboro, North Carolina 27410

Phone: 336-851-1000
Fax: 336-659-1750

Free Case Review

Contact Us Today